Reflections on Living Life on Purpose through Yoga

Friday, September 30, 2011

Autumn - detox time

The change of seasons is a natural time to internally cleanse the body.  Autumn can be thought of as a transition time into a new year...the harvest is almost over -- it's time to clear out, physically and mentally -- to let go of those things that no longer serve you....habits, attitudes, and behaviors.  It's an opportunity to till the soil and plant new seeds -- what do you want to bring into your life?  What are your highest goals for your life?  Are you acting in way that brings you closer to those dreams and goals?  Let go what no longer serves, recommit to what is working and set yourself up to get more of what nourishes you.  When you clean out you create space for the things that you really want.

The liver is the body's natural detoxifier -- sometimes it can get overloaded by processing the foods and drinks we ingest, especially the pesticide laden food most of us are eating, but also the chemicals and pollutants we encounter daily in the air and water.  If the liver becomes overwhelmed, it can't properly transform the toxins.  This forms a physical sludge ('ama' in sanskrit) inside the body and it also pollutes the mind causing cloudiness and anxiety.  A run down liver also makes us more susceptible to the colds and flus that blow in on autumn's winds.  

Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India, says there are 4 steps to a good fall cleanse.

1)  Slow down - fall is a good time to slow down, de-stress, assess our daily habits like the food we eat and the amount of exercise we're getting.  Interestingly, in our culture, early fall represents a time of schedule insanity.

2) Detox diet - Simple, healthy, cleansing foods - less sugar, caffeine, and processed foods.  Last week I did a 7 day juice cleanse - no solid food, no sugar, no caffeine -- yowzers! 

3)  Cleansing yoga - Specific yoga poses help expedite the detox process.   Heating the body (tapas) and twisty poses that wring out the organs help remove toxins from your tissues through your lymphatic and digestive system so they can be eliminated.  Pranayama (breathing exercises) cleanse the lungs, brings fresh vital energy into the body, balances the two sides of the brain, and helps calm and stabalize the mind.

4) Self study - A detox period is an awesome time of contemplation and meditation.  Take some days to settle, slow down, listen more, and get clear about the direction of your life purpose.

My first cleanse was in Thailand at a place called The Sanctuary on Koh Phangan island - one of the most beautiful places I've had the grace of visiting.  I completed a five day watermelon juice fast there with coffee colonics everyday -- yep, you heard it right, colonics every day.  At first I was grossed out, but when I started to see the sludge that had obviously been stuck for years, I was jumping full blown on the colonic train.  It took me 2 years before I did my next one but last April in Nepal I holed myself in a room in the mountains and did the same cleanse for 7 days.  Knowing that I was doing something so amazing for my health -- my colon, my liver, my digestive system, my skin and hair, and my mind -- saved me from giving up.

So six months later here I am just after finishing my third cleanse - this time I also completed seven days.  I supplement the juice with physillium husk powder and bentonite clay to assist with the colon cleanse and help hunger pangs, and I also add in superfood green powder for proteins and energy.  Besides the physical benefits, time seems to slow down (more time for me!), my movements and words get sluggish (less lashing out in frustration), and my mind is quiet and at ease (peace)....the "slow-down" happens automatically by not feeding the body.   Every time I learn more and more about my emotional relationship with food.

Cleansing is an austerity - it's not an easy thing to do but the rewards are worth it.  Even if you start with giving yourself a week of a very clean diet (brown rice, beans, veggies, and spices [to create fire] -- try kitchari) and lots of water, this can give your system a tremendous break from normal everyday digestion.

The highest value of a detox or cleanse is to feel better about yourself so go easy -- do the best you can, embrace and love yourself for exactly who and where you are on this journey.  Go inside, dig down deep, clear out, and find that innate courage to go after what you really want in life. 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment