Reflections on Living Life on Purpose through Yoga

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Meditating with an 80lb pitbull


I've been sitting for meditation every morning lately and I'm so happy to be back to the practice...sometimes it's for 15 minutes but sometimes it's much longer and what I notice is that I WANT it to be longer, I actually love that time now.  I used to sit through it wondering how much time had passed and if it was a sufficient enough practice.  But now, I relish in that moment of just me and silence, or rather just me and my mental chatter, but still that's A LOT quieter than the day-to-day norm.

Just to make it a bit more interesting, my brother's 80 pound pitbull has been meditating with me.  Actually he won't leave my side these days so it's either lock him out and he cries or let him sit near me.  And what's amazing is that he actually just totally chills out with me.   By spending a lot of time with him, I've grown even more in tune with the beauty of animals, even BIG aggressive-looking ones...they feed on your energetic presence.  This morning he licked my nose *kiss* while my eyes were closed sitting in lotus.....a pleasant surprise. 

As soon as I roll out of bed, I hit the loo, grab a warm glass of water and lemon to cleanse the system and sit for meditation.  It has been the most important way for me to stay connected to my Self.  My days are more productive and on track with my highest goals.   I have grown to love the practice, even with a pitbull by my side.



No comments:

Post a Comment